Sunday, November 2, 2008

Year of the Gentleman






Is chivalry dead?

I love to see men open doors for women, pull out a lady's chair, or even give a woman his jacket when she's cold. I know it may seem hard, but believe me its the right way to go. Now, I admit I hate being cold, its the worst possible condition to me. I thrive in sweltering heat. I live for the sun, it sustains me, but I would hate to walk with a woman and be warm all the while she's next to me damn near convulsing due to the cold. 

You may be asking where did this all come from, and why am I questioning the morals of my fellow men. The answer is simple. I've been listening to Ne-Yo's new CD, Year of the Gentleman, and I feel that just the title alone touches on a sensitive subject. 

" The age of chivalry is past. Bores have succeeded to dragons" Charles Dickens

I pray that Dickens was wrong, and that men still are men. Meaning that they still value the well being of women, and not just that of their significant others. I can be honest and say that I have in the past been lax in my chivalrous nature, but thankfully I have a mother, and strong female friends who have set me back on the right track. I never want to feel that this world has lost its morals, its character, or its conscience.  

Yes conscience. A conscience is what tells us right from wrong, and without it we would not know that its wrong to enter into a room before a lady. We would not be able to fully appreciate the fact that as men we can accomplish great things in our lifetimes, but without a strong woman then we will inevitably fall. 

" Behind every great man is a strong woman" ?

The above quote was true when it was said and stands true now. I hope to find a woman strong enough to stand behind me, and when I do I will honor and respect her the way she deserves.  Chivalry is not dead because I am alive. I will leave you with this quote, and then once again this train ride must come to an end. 

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth. " Charles Kingsley

5 comments:

  1. Chivalry rules!!!
    http://www.ifonlymyenglishwerebetter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Chivalry is dead, but due to the way that WOMEN are allowing themselves to be treated it is rapidly moving toward extinction. Not only do a lot of our fellow men disrespect our women, by calling them out of their names, or putting their hands on them, a lot of guys are comfortable with that and think its ok, which is not saying much for the future. So until the WOMEN and MEN both decide that we have got to do better, chivalry is going to continue to move toward extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think chivalry is far from dead... I consider myself to be something of a hopeless romantic. Being raised predominently in a household of three women has taught me how to be a man. They say a woman cannot teach a man how to be a man. I have proven that statement wrong a long time ago by surpassing every male in my family with my successes... This is a definately another story in itself... But back on to the subject at hand... Chivalry... I believe being a real man encompasses these ideas that the knights exemplified so long ago... Those same three women definitely showed me how a woman should be treated. I am a strong believer of chivalrous character... Although it is not a prominent in this day and age, it is still very much important... It is up to our generation to continue to demonstrate these traits and pass it on to our children...

    Zyo Status

    ReplyDelete
  4. I c u bro being all enlightened with the comments, and yea I agree because I was raised by moms and I feel she did her best, which was great. I think we all turned out great. You especially. You've accomplished alot for yourself and continue to accomplish more everyday. You set the standard for Lonzell, and hopefully he'll surpass us one day. I hope my sister surpasses me too. I feel the out generation should be role models for the morals that are to be represented in society. If we don't show them who will. Chivalry, must never die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chivalry is as God is. It will continue to exist as long as there are people believing it exists. Dickens was wrong on that account, but I have to say the latter half of that quote is as accurate as they come. Bores have indeed succeeded to dragons. "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"

    ReplyDelete

Social Vibe


Social Vibe