Friday, November 7, 2008

Men Cry in the Dark

Men Cry in The Dark is a novel written by Michael Baisden, and is one of my favorite books. All my life I've read pretty much any work of literature that was handed to me. I always hope that the first chapter captivates me and pulls me deeper into the realm of fiction that I so love. Every so often I am fortunate enough to come across a book that touches me, and leaves a lasting impression. These are books that I count amongst my favorites, and the novel by Michael Baisden did just that. 

 

I have always been an emotional type of person. I care for others openly and am not afraid to express my true feelings. I mean why hold back? I don't care about trying to uphold the masculine standard. I feel that it takes real strength to care and love openly. 

 

So why is it that men feel that it is a sign of weakness to cry, that tears are a symbol of feminism and eradicates all aspects of masculinity. Well, to reject those sentiments is to reject our earliest socialization. This is the aspect of our development that was imposed on us by other men, either through family interaction or interaction through our peers outside of a home dynamic. 

 

To be honest I detest the common ideal that it is only alright to break down at certain points in your life. Points of no return such as a death in the family or extreme pain, well, that’s really it. Those are the only guaranteed time that someone would not try to diminish your right to manhood. Oh, crying over a breakup, hard times, or just life in general, that’s a negative. 

 

I often want to cry.  That is the only advantage women have over men - at least they can cry.  ~Jean Rhys

 

To some degree I can say that after thoughtful consideration crying has become more acceptable, yet, not fully engraved within the core of masculine society. I hope that it will become alright for an individual to weep, and release all their pains and sorrows. Bringing to light pain that was always kept in the dark. 

 

 

Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it.  ~Albert Smith

 

Well, this ride is over. I just wanted to discuss that for a moment, and now I'm going back to watching across the universe and reading Greek mythology. Dueces


2 comments:

Social Vibe


Social Vibe