Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The BGC

The Boys and Girls Club isn't just a job for me, its a growing experience. 

I love kids...our generations responsibility is to pave the way for the next one to surpass us. I strongly believe that, especially since I just wrote it. I have seen kids come and go, and I hope that I have played a positive role in their life. I hope I have inspired them to step out of their shells and embrace their dreams. 

Dreams are the stepping stones to greatness. A great man said that, me. Whoever shall walk in the path of adversity and grow from their trials will be a stronger individual, and these kids are walking that path. I want to be a guiding light through the fog to insure their safe passage. 

Dreams are not only meant to be experienced during the R.E.M. stages of sleep, but rather during your time awake. That is why I'm working so hard to make sure that I don't lose sight of my dreams. I want to write professionally. I want to be acknowledged for my poetic skills, and as great word smith for my generation transcending boundaries and barriers that are firmly in place in this society we currently live in.  Sucks to have been born in this era sometimes. 

We are taught growing up that this is the best time for our dreams to be accomplished, and that there are sooooooo many opportunities to help make them a reality. Yet, at the same time there are soooooo many obstacles to a child's dream of just making it to the age of 18. 

I'm from Chi-town and its a dangerous place to be. I'm not saying that anywhere else is safe right now, well maybe somewhere in Idaho, you never hear about crime there. Chicago's homicide rate is incredibly high. I'll give the exact stats later, but trust me it's ridiculous when a seven year old boy is abducted and killed. Senseless violence! 

I know that is a sad thought, but back to the BGC. I love the kids, but they are crazy and wild. Today I was having a conversation with a very cute volunteer and I swear kids be trying to block on the low. It was funny, this 4th grader came up to me and my friend Jess, putting us on blast. LOUD! At the moment I didn't care because I actually like her , I didn't mind because it was funny, and who pays attention to a 4th grader, well I do. 

Ok, I'm tired and need to read. I'm seriously slacking. Its time for all passengers to exit the train while we refuel.  Save your tickets because you'll need them for re-admittance. Have a nice break. 

** By the beginning o July Chicago had 228 murders reports for 2008 **

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post. I completely agree with you. my parents are still always telling me that there are so many opportunities out there, and that I can be whatever I want to be. they tell me to aim high and that if I set my mind to it, then it will come true. one thing that parents forget when they're telling their kids this, is that life is just one big obstacle after another. you overcome one, you think you're in the clear and that life will be an easy ride from this point on, but then another challenge comes up. it may be a bumpy ride, but I believe that all hard work will never go unpaid.. you also have, by far, one of the coolest jobs in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my job is coo, even though I over slept and missed work today. It sucks. I think I'ma be in trouble on monday. Lol, but my boss is coo, I'm sure I won't be fired or anything, he might just give me a disappointed glance....those hurt the most. Well, I'm glad you like my post. It likes you too.

    ReplyDelete

Social Vibe


Social Vibe